What happens if a judgement is renderd against you but you have no money to pay it?

UPDATED: Sep 6, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 6, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What happens if a judgement is renderd against you but you have no money to pay it?

Basically in a nutshell, I got into an accident using a friends car. Come to find out after that it was uninsured at the time of the accident. They are currently incarcerated so now I’m stuck paying for it. I’m currently unemployed, so when I go to small claims court what’s going to happen since I have no money to give her?

Asked on September 6, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, New York


Mark Siegel / Law Office of Mark A. Siegel

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If the other party (the claimant) is awarded a money judgment against you, even though you are currently unemployed, the judgment may be enforceable against your property or other assets, if any, if they are legally owned in your name. If you presently have no assets, but become employed or obtain assets in your own name while the judgment is still valid & enforceable, the successful claimant (known as the judgment creditor) may be able to satisfy the judgment at that time, by having the sheriff or marshal garnish your wages through an income execution, or by having the sheriff or marshal seize your property under a property execution. NYS has a specific laws which govern the enforcement of money judgments. I hope you find this information useful.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption