If I need to file bankruptcy, do I have to be present in court?

UPDATED: Sep 5, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 5, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I need to file bankruptcy, do I have to be present in court?

I need to file bankruptcy, however I excepted a position in Germany. I will be leaving in about 4 weeks. Can I file in the US and will it be completed while I live in Germany? I was told that my daughter (35 years old) could not have power of attorney and I would have to fly back from Germany for court, which is not possible.

Asked on September 5, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Ohio


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

The best way for you to file for bankruptcy protection given your anticipated move to Europe is to retain a bankruptcy attorney to file the petition for you and make all court appearances with the one exception where there may be a creditor's hearing where you have to be present in court and answer questions that the creditors may ask you.

Given your anticipated relocation to Germany and your desire to file for bankruptcy protection, retaining a bankruptcy attorney seems to be your best option.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption