At age 18 is juvenile probation automatically terminated?

UPDATED: Apr 12, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 12, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

At age 18 is juvenile probation automatically terminated?

I got put on probation 5 years ago for 3 felonies. I ranaway after I turned 17 5 months ago. A warrant was issued. I’m wondering what kind of trouble I could get into? I was supposed to be off probation in 5 months. Can anything happen once I turn 18?

Asked on April 12, 2012 under Criminal Law, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately for you, your probation is not terminated just because you ran away as a juvenile while still on probation where an arrest warrant has been issued with respect to you. I suggest that you immediately consult with a criminal defense attorney to get the arrest warrant issue resolved against you while you are still a minor.

Once you turn 18, and if the arrest warrant issue and your probation are not resolved at that time, resolution of these issues will be in the adult offender court system, not the juvenile system. the results in the adult offender court system with respect to imposed penalties are much more severe.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption