As a gun owner can my son who is a convicted felon, live or visit my house?

UPDATED: Jul 22, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 22, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

As a gun owner can my son who is a convicted felon, live or visit my house?

Is there a way to secure my weapons so my son can live in or visit my home? I have one handgun and three rifles. I have a lock box for the handgun and a trigger lock. The rifles are in a non locking case.

Asked on July 22, 2010 under Criminal Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

What you need to find out are what your son's conditions of probation are from his attorney or is probation officer.  I would think that as a general rule the answer to your question would be "no" on all counts.  I do not think that a lock box will matter but I would check with his probation officer as well on that matter.  Understand that if in fact he does visit or live with you it will be placing him in a position of violating his probation which is a very, very serious thing.  It could revoke his probation and send him back to jail.  You may need to make other arraignments for him.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption