What can I do if my landlord is charging me an additional and unexpected $150 deposit?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if my landlord is charging me an additional and unexpected $150 deposit?

I’m moving into a new apartment next week. Everything had been quoted weeks ago in terms of pet deposits, security deposits and prorated rent for the remainder of this month. However, I got an email today from the apartment leasing agent saying that I now owe an extra $150 due to my rental history stating that I did not give a 30 day notice to a previous apartment that I moved out of a year ago. When in fact, I did alert my management that I would not be renewing my lease for another year when they called me to ask if I was. Which, I imagined translated to,

Asked on November 16, 2016 under Real Estate Law, Oklahoma


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If you already had a signed lease, which is a contract, they could not add or increase the deposit. However, without a contract--i.e. without the terms being enforceably locked-in--they can add or require another deposit, especially due to information about your rental history.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption