Amount REtaxes can go up

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Amount REtaxes can go up

Taxes on home were 9,000. Two years later they raised them to 15,000. Is this

Asked on December 14, 2016 under Real Estate Law, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

There is no law limiting how much taxes can rise, and they can jump heavily if one or both of the following happen:
1) There was no re-evaluation for many years, and when one is done, it is found that that the home was substantially undervalued as compared to other propertiers.
2) The tax rate is significantly increased, such as due to a budgetory or fiscal crises in the community or loss of state aid (which had previously offset property taxes by supporting the municipality or district).
If you feel the current taxes you are paying are too high for the value of your home--e.g. it was appraised or evaluated improperly--you can file a tax appeal; contact your municipality's tax assessor for instructions. But if the valuation is correct--it is supported by and line with, for example, other home valuations--and the tax rate is correctly mathematically applied to the value, then the tax is valid, even if it represents a significant jump. In my area (northern NJ), communities that did not do re-evaluations for many years in some cases experienced shocking changes in taxes when a re-evaluation was finally done, since some homes were significantly over- or under-valued compared to their neighbors, which inequities were corrected by the new valuations.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption