What will happen if I am unable to correct a code violation on sheds I have on my property?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What will happen if I am unable to correct a code violation on sheds I have on my property?

I built storage sheds on my property 5 years ago. I was told by a shed seller at that time that they only needed to be 2 feet apart, so I built them 2 feet apart. The county is now telling me the sheds have to be 10 feet apart. I do not have the financial means to move them, nor do I have anyone to help me move them. I am a senior citizen that is now in poor health. I am physically unable to move them. What will happen if I am unable to move the sheds?

Asked on December 14, 2016 under Real Estate Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If you can't move them, you could be fined for those code violations, in whatever amounts your local (e.g. municipal) building code provides. These fines can be considerable, since usually, the longer you are not in compliance, the more they add up. There is no exception to the law or defense for not being able to do the work yourself or pay for it--you are still liable for the violation. You need to find a way to come into compliance.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption