If I have amended divorce papers between my ex and myself and signed with a witness, is it legal?

UPDATED: Mar 29, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 29, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I have amended divorce papers between my ex and myself and signed with a witness, is it legal?

I am divorced and wanted to remarry. My ex agreed to continue to pay alimony for a less amount and for shorter amount of time. He typed up papers, we signed and had a witness sign. Now 9 months later, 15 months before payments were agreed to stop, he says, he’s not paying and it was not legal. Is this true and what do I do?

Asked on March 29, 2012 under Family Law, Oregon


Alan Pransky / Law Office of Alan J Pransky

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Any agreement between two divorced people is not valid unless it is approved by a Judge.  Therefore, the previous court order is still valid.  If he is violating that agreement, you should file a contempt action.  If not, you may need to file a modification action to get him to start payments again.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption