What shouldI do regarding the questioning ofsomeome against whomI have a judgment at a hearing to discover assets?

UPDATED: Jul 15, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 15, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What shouldI do regarding the questioning ofsomeome against whomI have a judgment at a hearing to discover assets?

I recently took a woman to court because I had babysat for her and I won my judgement in the amount of $500. She had 30 days to pay, and never did. So I filed a citation to discover assets and she didn’t not appear to the first court date because of a medical excuse. Now we have another one for next month. I’m not sure what to do at court? I also know she does home health care for her parents and gets unemployment. Am I wasting my time and money here?

Asked on July 15, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Illinois


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The proceeding that you have coming up against the person you have a judgment against is a proceeding to discover what assets she has so you can get your $500.00 paid off. In some States it is called an order of examination.

Assuming she attends the next proceeding, she will be sworn under oath to answer your questions as to her assets. For starters, you should ask her for the name, location (address) of all banks she has accounts at (checking or savings), the account numbers, names and addresses of all employers, names and addresses of people who owe her money, names and addresses of her parents that she does home care for, location of stock brokerage accounts as well as other things of value.

Perhaps she will voluntarily agree to make monthly payments to you. If she does, keep a copy of all checks she pays you with in that the cancelled check may show you a location of where other bank accounts she has for future collection proceedings if need be.

If she fails to show at the next proceeding, you should ask the court to issue a bench warrant for her appearance. If that happens, a sheriff can be sent to arrest her, she has to post bail for the appearence she did not attend and the court could have the bail money given to you.

With the information you get, you then have to file papers to collect on her assets. As you can see, getting a judgment is half the battle against someone. Collection on it can be very challenging.



IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption