Am I responses to pay a contractor after 2 years?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Am I responses to pay a contractor after 2 years?

I had a pool installed paid contractor $12,000 in check which he didn’t deposit until 2 years after at which time the funds were no longer available. Am I still responsible to pay him?

Asked on December 1, 2017 under Business Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you are still responsible to pay them. The contractor did the work for you pursuant to a contract (whether written, oral, or a mixture of both) under which they agreed to do work for you and you agreed to pay them. If they did their part (did the work), then you are contractually obligated to do your part and pay. If you don't pay the full amount you owe, they could sue you for the money based on "breach of contract." In your state, a breach of contract lawsuit may be brought for up to 4 years; that is, they have up to 4 years to take legal action and force you to pay. If 2 years have passed, then they are still well within time to bring a legal action and force you to pay.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption