Can the town force me to install a handicapped restroom and parking spaces.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can the town force me to install a handicapped restroom and parking spaces.

The town of red cliff , co. Is trying to force us to
install a handicapped accessible restroom in
our garage. We do have a business renting out
snowmobiles and/or atv,s. But the garage is
only for working on those snowmobiles. No
customer ever goes there. Can they force us to
do that ?

Asked on November 30, 2017 under Business Law, Colorado


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

It depends on whether there is a state or local law (e.g. some local or town/city ordinance) requiring this: if there is, you have to comply with the law, but if there is not, they have no authority to make you do this. So to answer your question, ask them to show you the law which they believe requires these things: if they can, comply, if they don't or can't, you should not have to do this.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption