Am I liable for an accident while driving for a company?

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Am I liable for an accident while driving for a company?

I was driving a van for a corporate day care. The van was empty and it was

determined that I was making an illegal left turn. I was hit by a bus. This was 2

years ago and I have just been served papers assuming it is the driver being

sued. Since I was an employee of the company and driving with their permission

can she sue me or does it revert back to the company I was working for? FYI, I

was let go 4 weeks later.

Asked on September 8, 2016 under Accident Law, Arizona


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Both you and the corporate daycare (the registered owner of the vehicle) are liable for the accident and are named as defendants in the lawsuit.
The corporate daycare is primarily liable because it is the registered owner of the vehicle and also as your employer, it is liable for the negligence of an employee which occurs during the course and scope of employment.
The corporate daycare's insurance carrier should provide both you and the company with an attorney at no cost to you.  You should provide the insurance company's attorney with the documents that were served upon you and any other documents you may receive pertaining to this matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption