If I barely bumped into someone at a stop sign and slightly dented her bike rack, is my insurance responsible?

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I barely bumped into someone at a stop sign and slightly dented her bike rack, is my insurance responsible?

SI was at a stop sign the other day and lifted my foot off the brake too soon,

causing me to bump into the car in front of me. She had a bike rack on the back

of her car and it’s slightly dented. Enough where it’s still usable, but she’s

claiming she doesn’t feel comfortable using it. There weren’t any bikes on the

rack. We didn’t exchange insurance info but she got my license plate number and we exchanged personal information. The bike rack is around $360 and she

wants to go to my insurance over it now. With no police report, will I or my

insurance be responsible for paying for it since it’s not completely damaged?

Asked on September 8, 2016 under Accident Law, Massachusetts


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You are liable for the accident whether or not there was a police report.
It would be advisable to refer the matter to your auto insurance carrier which will have a claims adjuster examine the bike rack  and settle the case with the other party.  The fact that the bike rack was damaged results in liability regardless of the amount of damage.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption