Am I legally elligable for healthcare benefits once my employer reduces my hrs?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Am I legally elligable for healthcare benefits once my employer reduces my hrs?

I have been a full time employee in excellent standing for 11 yrs. in October, my
employer typically announces enrollment of healthcare benefits for following year. If
my hrs are reduced to below the full time status after October 15th, does my
employer have to provide me healthcare benefits?

Asked on September 12, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

No, they do not. There is no law requiring employers to provide health insurance at all (not even the ACA; while it may impose fines on certain employers for not providing insurance, those fines are less than insurance costs, and employers could choose to pay them instead), and certainly no law requiring insurance for less-than-full time employees. Your employer could stop providing you coverage.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption