What to do about a potentialbreach of contract?

UPDATED: Nov 5, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 5, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about a potentialbreach of contract?

I was part of a boot camp franchise focusing on stroller based fitness. I am no longer part of the franchise and the franchise owner found out I am operating a new business of my own. Sent letter saying I am in breach of contract and is asking for me to sign a letter stating I will cease and desist but new letter has far more specific wording then the contract I signed when I joined the franchise. I don’t think it matches.

Asked on November 5, 2010 under Business Law, Florida


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

No one can help you here unless they read the contract and the letter and let you know if indeed you are in breach.  You need to bring both documents to an attorney to review and to discuss with you what he or she thinks about your situation.  The attorney will also be asking you questions about your new business.  Is it the same "type" of business?   Does it market to the same customers as the franchise?  Are you using the customer list that was developed during the time you worked for the franchise?  All these questions and more will have a bearing on your situation and if you violated the contract.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption