What are my options to get paid if a businessthat Iworked for got paid but didn’t pay us?

UPDATED: Jul 13, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 13, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my options to get paid if a businessthat Iworked for got paid but didn’t pay us?

My sister, I, and another girl worked doing wine sampling modeling promotions for a woman. She has a reputation of this and has been charged. Its all over the internet. She gets paid from the distributor and doesn’t pay the models. She owes me $170, my sister over $500 and the other lady over $300. On-line it says she goes under other aliases. I have e-mails as proof. She has been harassing me in e-mail and jobs. What are our options?

Asked on July 13, 2010 under Employment Labor Law, Wisconsin


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

You can file a claim with the Department of Labor and with the State Attorney General's Office for starters.  Then you can sue her in small claims court for the money that she owes all three of you.  You have an employment contract.  Do you have one in writing?  How did she find you?  Did she advertise?  The terms of the advertisement could help support your contract.  If you can make out all the elements of a contract of employment then you can sue her, even if the contract is oral rather than written. And since you all have the same story you have strength in numbers.  Good luck to you all.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption