Am I due compensation from abuse I suffered as a minor in school?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Am I due compensation from abuse I suffered as a minor in school?

I am a 49 year old man. As a child in MI attending grade school approximately 30 years ago, I was emotionally abused by a teacher in which action was taken to remove me from that class. Also, in this same time period I was physically assaulted in an extreme manner; I was

Asked on February 25, 2019 under Personal Injury, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, you are long past the statute of limitations, or time to bring a legal action, which is only three years in MI. That would be three years from, at most, when you became a legal adult at age 18 and could file your own lawsuit (were not dependent on your parent or legal guardian to bring it for you), so the statute of limitations passed by the time you were 21--or 28 years ago. Once the statutory period has passed, you can no longer bring a lawsuit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption