What to do about a child custody hearig that I cannot attend?

UPDATED: Aug 30, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 30, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about a child custody hearig that I cannot attend?

I currently have legal sole custody with my child. I have a court pending coming up in a few months. However, my grandmother is sick and i need to leave to take care of her. Will I be allowed to leave?

Asked on August 30, 2012 under Family Law, Wisconsin


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Since you have several months before the child custody hearing is heard that you may not be able to attend, you have the following options:

1. see if the other side will agree to continue the hearing to a mutually convenient time and date for all;

2. enter into an agreement in writing about the cintested matter;

3. hire an attorney to appear for you at the hearing you cannot attend;

4. contact the court clerk to see if it has the "court call option". Yes, some courts such as those in California allow a party to attend a court hearing via telephone. If so, then you need to get all the needed forms set up to make the telephonic appearance concerning the custody issue that you have written about.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption