A police report is written incorrectly and the officer will not change. What process is needed to dispute the report.

UPDATED: May 29, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 29, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

A police report is written incorrectly and the officer will not change. What process is needed to dispute the report.

would like to know what kind of paperwork we can file on our own if possible. There is insurance involved that may help but due to no money to pay out if it is our fault and a few thousand if it is our fault i want to push the issue on my own more so it doesn’t get dragged feet by insurance companies.

Asked on May 29, 2009 under Accident Law, Idaho


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

I am assuming that you basically have a police report stating you were at fault? A police report is one piece of the puzzle.  Did the officer witness the accident? If so, you may be out of luck.  If not, has there been someone looking at the damage to both vehicles to determine who hit whom?

You may need to hire a lawyer unfortunately.  Are you being sued by the other party? Your insurance may cover the hiring of such an attorney.  Try www.attorneypages.com.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption