Is it illegal to have sex with a first cousin?

They are of consenting age.

Asked on July 27, 2011 Kentucky

Answers:

M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

I am honestly unsure that a law would be written on the books with this type of activity in mind as illegal per se.  The only way that I can gauge if in fact the act would be deemed unlawful in the end is to look at the state laws governing marriages between first cousins.  States do indeed regulate marriage in that way.  In reviewing the state laws in appears that Kentucky seems to be on the stricter end of the spectrum.  They not only prohibit the marriage between first cousins but also the marriage between first cousins once removed.  This being the case I would deduce that having sex with your first cousin may fall under a state law of which I am not aware and so I would try and guide you to refrain from doing so. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.