If a leak insideupstairs floor condo caused damage to my condo, is that condo owner responsible for the cost of repairs to my unit?

UPDATED: Jan 5, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 5, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If a leak insideupstairs floor condo caused damage to my condo, is that condo owner responsible for the cost of repairs to my unit?

A toilet leak/overflow in the upstairs condo leaked through the floor and into my condo causing damage to the ceiling and 1 wall. I believe this was the result of a plugged up toilet that the tenant flushed and then left the unit. According to NC law, is the owner of that unit responsible to cover the cost of repairs to my unit? Total repair costs this time were $225. I cannot claim this on my insurance and the condo association does not cover damage to a condo resulting from a leak inside another condo unit. This is the 2nd time a water leak inside his condo caused damage inside mine.

Asked on January 5, 2011 under Real Estate Law, North Carolina


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Generally speaking, it is the same situation as if you owned a piece of real property in the form of a free standing home and your neighbor's septic tank overflowed in to your yard causing a flood in to your basement.  The responsibility for repairs would be that of your neighbor.  But you really need to make sure that it is not something that is stopped up in the pipes of the building inside the walls.  That could be the responsibility of the condo association as well.  Now, you may be able to claim this on your insurance and they could subrogate the claim as against the owner upstairs (they would sue him on your behalf).  However, if you have a large deductible then this may not pay.  Good luck to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption