If I bought out 2 of my siblings shares in a house that we inherited, how much of the homeowner’s premium shouldI pay?

UPDATED: Jan 5, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 5, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I bought out 2 of my siblings shares in a house that we inherited, how much of the homeowner’s premium shouldI pay?

My mother left myself and 7 other siblings her house. when she died. Do I pay 1 share of the house insurance or 3? Also, when we sell the house, do I get 1/9 or 3/9 the of the sale? One of the siblings that I bought from has died, if that makes any difference.

Asked on January 5, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Louisiana


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  So there were 8 of you that inherited the house and you personally bought out 2 of your other siblings, correct?  Hopefully this was done in writing.  So now you have the right to 3/8ths of the house upon the sale and you have the obligation for 3/8ths of the expenses as well.  As for the sibling that has passed away, if your agreement to purchase his or her share was not in writing then it violates what is known as the Statute of Frauds, which is a law that states that all agreements to purchase real property MUST be in writing or they are not valid.  If you do not have any writing evidencing the sale to you then his or her share will pas through their estate and you will have to make a claim, which you may not win.  Seek legal help.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption