A judge granted divorce, joint custody & I have physical custody, but he refuses to sign, so how can I get divorce finalized?

UPDATED: May 31, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 31, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

A judge granted divorce, joint custody & I have physical custody, but he refuses to sign, so how can I get divorce finalized?

Judgement granted 5 or 6 yrs. ago, child lived w/me, he’s illegally filed 4 support, won’t sign divorce papers & state is suing me 4 child support. I’m disabled w/no income,child is 19 & living independently, but he still gets support from state illegally. He’s a repeat DUI offender & abuses drugs, but never served time 4 offenses.We haven’t lived together for 8 yrs.

Asked on May 31, 2009 under Family Law, Mississippi


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

You need a good lawyer to get all of this straightened out.  One place to look for an attorney is our website, http://attorneypages.com  Or, there should be a program that will provide you some help finding a public service lawyer.  Be persistent, don't give up, because there's too much going on here to try and handle on your own.

I'm not a Mississippi attorney, and there are some variations in the law from one state to the next.  And without all the facts, everything that's happened, the paperwork and the rest of it, there's no way to give you reliable advice about what to do next.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption