What to do if a friend of mine and I are creating a T-shirt for an opening day MLB game?

UPDATED: Mar 26, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 26, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if a friend of mine and I are creating a T-shirt for an opening day MLB game?

We wanted to use the silhouette of a famous pitchers statue that is placed outside of the stadium. If we take the picture and do the photoshopping ourselves is it legal to put on a shirt and sell?

Asked on March 26, 2013 under Business Law, Ohio


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

It depends on if this is considered a copyrighted piece and by whom. Typically this is considered a derivative work and you could be held liable for copyright infringement if the piece is not considered to be in the public realm. You really need to talk to the stadium corporate office and find out. If you can obtain a licensing agreement, you might be able to use your derivative work for limited purposes at little to no cost.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption