What recourse do I have if a business “mistakenly” double billed me for a policy 2 months ago?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What recourse do I have if a business “mistakenly” double billed me for a policy 2 months ago?

I was in contact with them 2 weeks after they did this to inform them of the problem. They acknowledged it and said it would take 3 weeks to get a refund. I have them that time without result. I have called them weekly now because, obviously I still have not received the money.

Asked on November 11, 2015 under Business Law, New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You can sue them to recover your money: nobody is allowed to double bill for goods or services (or a policy), and so if you can prove you were charged twice, you can get your money back. If the amount at stake is less than or equal to the limit for small claims court, suing in small claims court, acting as your own attorney ("pro se") to save on legal bills, is a good option.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption