Once the doctor releases me for light duty, if my employer can’t provide light duty, am I eligible for unemployment?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Once the doctor releases me for light duty, if my employer can’t provide light duty, am I eligible for unemployment?

Also, I have a non-work related injury (no ACL/weak MCL. I have elected to have surgery next month to fix the ACL. I tore my MCL on the job 7 months ago and went to the workers’ comp doctor who elected not to do surgery. I went through 3 months of rehab until the workers’ comp doctor released me. My personal doctor feels as though my MCL still isn’t right and wants to fix it while doing my ACL. When I contacted the workers comp people they told on my own, their doctor had released me and they would not help cover the MCL part of the surgery. Are they right or should they cover part of this surgery?

Asked on November 22, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Illinois


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You need a workers' compensation attorney. Sounds like your medical doctor who released you was working for workers compensation and not for you and left you without recourse. Your lawyer will need to consider appeal options with workers compensation, disability, and suing your doctor.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption