What can I do about a credit card debt that I was not previously informed of?

UPDATED: Sep 12, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 12, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do about a credit card debt that I was not previously informed of?

I received notice from sheriff for court and was told I had outstanding debt on a credit card I do not remember having. I have lived at same address for 36 years but isn’t the address on debt..has my SSN though. I have asked for proof of debt. If this turns out to be valid claim should I have to pay 10 years of interest and penalties? I did not change my move, I always pay my bills, how was it they found me for court but could not find me in 10 years to send bill? What can I do?

Asked on September 12, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Massachusetts


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

From what you have written it seems as though you are unsure that you owe this claimed debt or not. From what you have written it is unclear as to whether or not you were recently served with a summons and complaint concerning a lawsuit for money owed or not.

If you were just served with a lawsuit and the claim is for a bill more than ten (10) years old, there is a very good chance that the lawsuit may be barred by the applicable statute of limitations for breach of contract or common counts in your state.

I suggest that you carefully read the paperwork that you recently received from the sheriff regarding an alleged outstanding debt from this credit card company and then consult with an attorney about how to respond to the situation.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption