IfI have a civil judgement in a state where wages cannot be garnished, what happens if I moveto a state where wage garnishment is allowed?

UPDATED: Sep 12, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 12, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

IfI have a civil judgement in a state where wages cannot be garnished, what happens if I moveto a state where wage garnishment is allowed?

Asked on September 12, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If there is a judgment against you where yiur wages in the state where you presently work are exempt from garnishment to satisfy in part of in full this judgment but you move to a state where a wage garnishment can be allowed with respect to a judgment, then you face the distinct possibility that the judgment creditor could very well levy upon your wages.

If the judgment creditor is successful in any future wage garnishment, then you will have a portion of your wages taken out by your employer and paid to the crediotr for as long as you are working for that particular employer.

Rather than worry about a wage garnishment, you might consider contacting the judgment creditor to see if some monthly payment plan can be entered into in writing where as long as you make your payments there will be no levy upon any of your assets by the judgment creditor.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption