Does FL require that sales tax be paid as part of a total loss settlement on a vehicle?

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Jan 26, 2016

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Venice, FL

Asked on 01/26/2016

Does FL require that sales tax be paid as part of a total loss settlement on a vehicle? Using my insurance for the total loss of my vehicle since at fault drivers policy was far less than the damage done to all vehicles involved. Does FL require sales tax to be paid as part of a total loss settlement? When I asked my claim agent she flat out said no yet I've read otherwise online & have already caught her making a big mistake that would have cost me so I can't trust her.

Answer given on January 26, 2016

If a car is totaled in an auto accident, the value of the car is based on the actual cash value of the car at the time of loss. This would normally include the sales tax for that actual cash value.Each auto insurance company handles claims differently and it is always better to check with your agent, adjuster or review the policy itself. If you still are not certain, contact the Dept of Insurance in your state to see what they say about the sales tax.If the responsible party does not have sufficient insurance coverage to pay for all damages, the insurance company will most likely prorate the amount paid to the amount of coverage. If you have uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage for property damage, you could collect additional funds under that portion of your insurance policy for the difference between what you received and what the actual cash value of the car was. There is usually no deductible on this coverage.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption