If my ex-husband just recieved a wrongful death settlement regarding our daughter?

My ex-husband just recieved a wrongful death settlement in the amount of $500,000 for the death of our son 3 years ago. I am not involed in it. About 7 years ago, under circumstances of major medical issues involving our other child who had Cystic Fibrosis, we came to a agreement to allow their stepmother to adopt. After this was done, I still did for the children, talked with them and was involoved. I paid for the funeral of the daughter. Am I entitled to sue the insurance company or to any of this money? Do I have to sue my ex-husband? If the understanding was that I didn’t want my children, then why would I have continued to do for them and pay funeral costs of our daughter? The court date for disbursment is in about a week. I need to know what to file or what to do?

Asked on July 23, 2012 under Personal Injury, Nevada


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You need to understand that in a wrongful death action for a family member such as the son you lost, the damages are those of the survivors due to the loss of the comfort, support and society of the deceased person. The $500,000 that your former husband received is for his own damages.

You could sue for some sort of compensation but most likely you would be time barred under your state's statute of limitations.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.