Where in a lease does it say whether or not a rental fee needs to be paid to realtor?

My boyfriend and I broke our lease and the landlord, on top of keeping our security, is telling us we owe the realtor who brought to new tenants in $825 for a rental fee. We can’t find anything in our lease saying we need to do this but the way things are worded in the lease has us a little confused. If someone could help us look for specific key words/terms/sections in our lease that state we need to pay this fee it would be appreciated. It’s a standard lease used for many states.

Asked on June 29, 2012 under Real Estate Law, New Hampshire


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Custom and practice in the rental industry is that the landlord pays the fees for a real estate agent who brings tenants to the rented unit. I would carefully read all written agreements that you signed concerning your rental. If there is no language concerning your obligation to pay any real estate commissions then you are not responsible for such.

If your landlord is planning on keeping your security deposit, he or she needs to send you an itemization within 21 to 45 days after move out with back up invoices showing what your security deposit is being debited for.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.