If I took my husband’s last name and now I want to sell my car but lost the title which was in my maiden name so now my ID doesn’t match the name on the title, what can I do?

I lost my car title, which was in my maiden name. I changed my name when I got

married so I no longer have an ID matching the name on the title. The form to

request a new title would require me to send in a copy of my license. I have

copies of my name change court order would it be sufficient to send one with my


Asked on September 14, 2016 under Family Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Your ID with the order demonstrating the name change will be sufficient to process your request. Take any marriage applications with you as well so that you can demonstrate the whole tracing of your name.   You may, however, want to go to the DMV in person and explain the situation.  Usually a face to face conversation is less stressful than blindly sending in paperwork and crossing your fingers.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.