How can I retieve my certifications from a former job that refuses to return them after termination?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I retieve my certifications from a former job that refuses to return them after termination?

I was put on suspension so I decided to give my 2 weeks notice I emailed my

superior and she informed me I was terminated I have tried on several

occasions to retrieve my paperwork for future employment but without the

certifications which they are holdin I can’t how do I get ii? This is my family financially.

Asked on August 31, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Your only recourse is to sue them for it. You would file a lawsuit seeking a court order for the return of the paperwork, which means you can't sue in small claims court (which can only give you monetary compensation), but rather would sue in "regular" county court, in the chancery division (a part or portion or county court). A lawyer would be very helpful, but if you don't want to hire one, you should be able to get instructions from the court clerk's office. A lawsuit is the only way to get the papers back if they will not voluntarily return them.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption