If a divorce has been stopped by the person who filed, are the parties required to adhere to all court orders including parenting time and child support?

Asked on September 17, 2011 under Family Law, Michigan


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

This is really a procedural question best asked to an attorney or the court in your area.  Procedural law deals the basically the mechanics of how a lawsuit works and how things are carried out during the litigation. Generally speaking, once a matter is dismissed or withdrawn the orders associated with it are null and void.  How could the court enforce the orders with out the presence of the law suit on their docket (their list of cases filed with the court and assigned to them as a judge)?  Now, some times custody and visitation orders are entered in to in cases that stand by themselves - in other words not connected to a divorce action.    Get help.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.