If my ex seeks debt consolidation/management for his credit cards that my name is also on, how is my credit affected?

UPDATED: Sep 17, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 17, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my ex seeks debt consolidation/management for his credit cards that my name is also on, how is my credit affected?

As part of the divorce decree (that was done by mail and agreed upon by both parties), he was to be responsible for 2 credit cards that he opened but also have me listed as a co-account holder. Now that he cannot afford his payments and is delinquent, he is considering debt management. A company call me yesterday and asked me to agree to being on his debt management account for “no more than 5 years” while he pays off his balances. They promised it won’t hurt my credit if he makes his payments. How can I completely remove my name from any joint accounts? Do I have to take him to court?

Asked on September 17, 2011 under Family Law, Washington


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You will need to have him take you off as a joint account holder -- especially if you are not the primary holder but a secondary account name on the card. If you can do this now, do it. Call the credit card company and ask to be taken off. If they refuse to do so without the credit card holder (primary) calling and doing so, immediately write to your husband and call and explain what you want done. Explain it will impact your credit and you do not wish to be obligated on his delinquent accounts. Further, immediately order your credit reports from the three top credit reporting agencies and put in a dispute on those cards.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption