If I did not pay a court orderedsum to my ex-husband, can my wages be attached?

I am recently divorced. In my court papers, it states that I am to pay my ex $200 (1/2 of what he owes) to pay off his credit card bills. What would happen if I did not pay this? Can my wages be attached?

Asked on October 13, 2011 under Family Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Yes, potentially your wages could be garnished, or a bank account garnished (the money taken from the account). Your ex-husband cannot due this automatically, but would have to go to court for these remedies. While its not terribly expensive or difficult to do this things when someone doesn't pay a lawful debt or obligation, there is some cost and effort involved, so it's not a given he would do this for $200. He does, however, have the right to do so. Also, if you default on this debt, it could possibly damage your credit rating, which could ultimately cost you more than the $200. On the balance, it probably is in your interest to pay the money.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.