What type of lawyer do I need to contact about being denied medical care at a hospital emergency for being homeless or lack of ability to pay up front?

Do I have a case if I went to the emergency room and began explaining my symptoms I had been feeling and before I can finish speaking the triage nurse asks if I’m homeless and then

immediately starts telling me I have no medical emergency and its nothing to worry about and so when I ask for a medical screening she tells me in going to have to leave unless I can pay $150 up front only then could I see a doctor.

Asked on July 6, 2016 under Malpractice Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

What exactly are you suing for? Were you injured in some significant way by the refusal of this emergency room to treat you? If you suffered some significant injury or illness or disability as a direct result of the refusal to treat you, you might have a medical negligence, or malpractice, suit: it is unreasonable for an emergency room to not treat  a bone fide emergency. But if you did not suffer some significant physical harm or injury, or a large economic loss, due to this, there is no point in suing: the law only provides compensation for actual, provable injuries and losses. Without a significant loss, there is no point in incurring the cost and effort of a suit, because you would not get any worthwhile compensation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.