What if I lost my job because my college miscalculated the number of credits that I earned so that I got a different degree than I was supposed to?

I recently graduated and received a Special Education teaching position. Every semester I saw my counselor, where she would look over my transcripts and inform me on what classes I needed to take. There was a class that I was able to substitute in exchange for another class, however the credits for the class were not equivalent. A release form was signed for me to be in the class (which would only be approved if it did not affect my credits for graduation . My college just informed me (3 months after I have walked for graduation) that I am 2 credits short of graduation, thus they would not issue the degree and as the degree was required for the job, I lost my job.

Asked on July 22, 2010 under Employment Labor Law, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You should speak with an attorney, who can evaluate your situation in detail and in confidence. It is worth talking to an attorney because you may have a cause of action. It is possible that the college has breached its contract with you; it is also possible that it has caused you damage negligently. If there is a cause of action, it may be possible for you to recover from the college some weeks or months wage--i.e. what you would have earned over some period of time from the job you lost. You might also be able to recover for other costs, such as if you now have to rent a college-area apartment for another semester while finishing your degree program. Given how much is potentially at stake, it is well worth it for you to discuss the matter with a lawyer. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.