What legal action can I take if I apply to a job and my resume gets posted online?

The man who I would have been replacing was sent my resume by the head of the business when I applied and then posted it online on a forum where he was trying to get a petition going for his reinstatement. I did not get the job and while they have taken my resume offline, I don’t know how long it was up. but there are still some very negative remarks online that are obviously about me they reference a previous job on my resume I feel like this may be why I was ruled out after the interview.

Asked on June 3, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, California


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Typically, there is no right to privacy regarding a resume, whether posting it online or otherwise. Therefore, unless a confidentiality agreement of some sort was violated, you have no actionable claim here. While unfortunate, it's the law.

SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

There is no legal action you can take, unless this was a violation of a written agreement to keep the resume confidential. If there was such an agreement, you could sue for breach of contract; but if there was no such agreement, then there is no legal restriction on posting it online, and so there nothing legally was done wrong and there is no cause of action.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.