If my wife is talking about getting a divorce after 6 years of marriage, how much of the house she is entitled to?

UPDATED: Sep 3, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 3, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my wife is talking about getting a divorce after 6 years of marriage, how much of the house she is entitled to?

The house is in my name and I bought it before our marriage. It is totally paid off now and I made 100% of the payments. Our income is about the same.

Asked on September 3, 2012 under Family Law, California


Cameron Norris, Esq. / Law Office of Gary W. Norris

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Although the house itself was your separate property, since it was acquired before marriage, your wife is entitled to reimbursement-equal to a proportion of the current value-- for the principal debt reduction attributable to community property.  The way this is normally calcuated is by taking the principal debt reduction attributable to CP/ original purchase price.  Note: principal debt reduction is not the same as monthly payment--just the reduction in principal balance (not mortgage interest, property taxes, or insurance).  Then take that fraction or percentage and multiply it times the current value.  So if you paid down the original loan 20% during the marriage, then she is entiteld to 1/2 of that reduction (or 10%) times the current value.  Another example: 

Original Purchase Price: $400,000

Principal reduction over last 6 years during marriage: $20,000

20,000/400,000=5%  prinicpal reduction during marriage (half of which is attributable to her)

In this example, she would get 2.5% of the current Market value as a reimbursement.

Best of luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption