What if my medical bills exceed insurance maximums?

I was hit by a drunk driver. His insurance maximum was 60k and my underinsured is 60k but there

were 3 in my vehicle substantially injured. So a 120k will not cover our legal fees, paying back my disability, medical, much less any pain and suffering. What are possible options?

Asked on April 7, 2017 under Personal Injury, Texas


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Your only recourse is to reject the settlement offer and sue the drunk driver for negligence.  A court judgment in your favor can be enforced with a wage garnishment, lien on the drunk driver's home, (assuming the individual owns a home), etc.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.