What if I refuse an unpaid suspension from a job?

The company I work for routinely uses 1 – 3 day unpaid suspensions as disipline for poor performance. f there is no misconduct, can I refuse the unpaid suspension? I am an hourly employee using a time clock.

Asked on June 9, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You could only refuse a suspension if you had an employment contract giving you the right to do so--e.g. an employment contract setting forth some disciplinary process which must be followed. In the absence of an employment contract, an employer may terminate an employee at will, for any reason (including poor performance)--and hence may take steps "short of" termination, such as suspension. Your employer could, if you don't have an employment contract, fire you; they can therefore certainly suspend you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.