What happens if there is a warrant for me in another state? How long do I have before they come and get me?

Asked on June 1, 2009 under Criminal Law, Texas


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Depending on what it's for they may never come after you; a DUI for example.  But a warrant doesn't expire.  If you get stopped for something as simple as a speeding ticket or have an employment background check, this could all turn up.  Going in voluntarily is the best way to handle this.  It will be viewed favorably.  Also, if this is your first offense that will help.

What you need to do now is to contact an attorney in the area where the warrant was issued.  He'll be able to better assess your case and hopefully will have contacts in the court system there.  For example, maybe he can arrange to have you turn yourself in when a more lenient judge is sitting on the bench. 

Anyway, there are no guarantees and jail time might well be involved.  Again I don't know what the underlying charge against you is.  But you need to take care of this now.  Looking over your shoulder is no way to live the rest of your life.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.