What can I do to take action against a therapist that is charging me fees for services that were never rendered?

I signed a contract that stated the fees for his services. Before I signed it I asked him if I could go and talk to my parents before proceeding. He agreed but wanted me to sign it now so he could “help” me. He told me he worked with my insurance companies so he could get the fees 100% covered. He told me if the insurance called I should tell them its “personal”. He made me feel worse, so I called him back and said I was not continuing with the services as he said I could. Now he is coming after my parents for 1000’s of dollars we don’t have. It feels not right and I don’t know what to do.

Asked on July 31, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I suggest the following options as to the therapist that is charging you money that you believe is improper:

1. consult your health insurance representative about your concerns;

2. consult with an attorney that practices consumer law as to what your legal options are;

3. make a complaint against the therapist with the entity that licenses him or her in your state.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.