What can I do to get my inheritance if my sister manipulated and threatened my parents into signing a living estate with only her name so I’m now left with nothing?

Asked on February 25, 2015 under Estate Planning, Massachusetts


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

A transfer of property is not valid if it was the product of coercion (e.g. threats of violence of improper legal action) or "undue influence," which means influence wielded by someone with disproportionate power over the person, such as an adult child who was also caregiver for a vulnerable senior. However, "emotional blackmail" or manipulation does not invalidate a transfer, so your sister could have said, for example, that she will not let your parents see her children (their grandchildren) unless they give her what she wants--that may be immoral, but it is legal. So the issue is: what exactly did your sister do? To evaluate whether it might provide grounds to invalidate the transfer, you should consult with an attorney and discuss the specific facts of the case in detail.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.