If my mother died and left my 12 ear old nephew some money, how can it be protected until he is an adult since his mother is a drug addict?

UPDATED: Feb 26, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 26, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my mother died and left my 12 ear old nephew some money, how can it be protected until he is an adult since his mother is a drug addict?

I’m the executor of the estate. Can I legally hold onto the money or put it somewhere until he is 18-21 years old so his mother can not get a hold of it?

Asked on February 26, 2015 under Estate Planning, Virginia


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

These are your duites:

The personal representative should take charge of and gain possession of all assets of the estate where necessary in order to carry out the obligations for the payment of taxes, debts and claims against the estate and the ultimate distribution of the estate in a manner consistent with the testator’s wishes as stated in the will or as required by the laws of intestate succession.

Are you working with an attorney in your area?  You need to be.  While I do not think that you could legally hold on to the money, I do think you may be able to set up a trust for him maybe not until 21 but to 18 with out too much of an issue.  You need to see if you can limit the trust to disbursement until that time and not to be invaded for any reason that could be by someone with less than honorable intentions.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption