What can I do about my neighbor’s children possibly harming my children?

I live in an apartment complex and the people that live a few doors down have 2 boys that constantley push, hit and throw things at my 4 year old little girl. These boys are about 8 or 9 years old. I have confronted their mother about this but there is always hostility, so I no longer confront them for my own safety. The owners of the apartment complex have told me to call the police if it happens again. Is there anything I can do legally about this? I’m scared that they might seriously harm my little girl. When the police are called they just say that the kids need to be seperated. I’m stuck.

Asked on July 23, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Indiana


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you truly believe that neighborhood children pose a danger to your children and their mother and law enforcement are not assisting in diffusing the issue, then your option is to consult with an attorney that has experience in preparing petitions for a restraining order.

In essence, you should seek a restraining order against the neighborhood children that are a danger to your children and see if the court system can resolve your problem.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.