What can be done if I was lied to about thevalue of an item thatI purchased?

I went to a store that pulled up a website that said a product was worth $500. He sold it to me for $450. On the bottom of the receipt it says, “No refunds”. When I got back home, I found out on other sites that listed it for $40.

Asked on November 26, 2011 under General Practice, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

IF you can show that fraud was committed--that you were intentionally lied to about a key or material fact (like price)--you may be able to sue for either damages (monetary compensation, such as the difference in value)  or to rescind the transaction (give back the item, get back your money). The fact that other sites list the item for lower does not, however, by itself mean that you were defrauded--if the product does retail in some locations for $500, give or take, it may well be "worth" that much even if you could elsewhere get it much lower. Therefore, you most  likely would need more evidence than simply that it is available elsewhere for less to prove your case.

Also, you will have to sue to get your money if the store will not voluntarily return it. You could try suing in small claims court, where you could represent yourself and filing fees are low, to make it more affordable to try.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.