If a waitress had a hot skillet plate over my baby’s head and hot oil splattered on it, what can I do legally?

Asked on August 24, 2015 under Personal Injury, Arizona


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If your baby was injured, you could sue for your out-of-pocket not paid by insurance medical costs, lost wages, if any if you missed work taking care of your baby, and "pain and suffering" IF your baby suffering scarring, pain, or disability lasting a long time many weeks or even months at a minimum for less time than that, you can't recover any appreciable amount. If, as we hope, your baby is fundamentally unharmed and you did not incur large medical costs, there would be no point to suing, since  you can only recover money for actual costs, losses and injuries, not for what might have or could have happened.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.