What can we do if we have very noisy and rude neighbors?

The stairs leading to their apartment are attached to our wall. They drag stuff/stomp up and down these stairs constantly. Since I told management about the problem it has gotten worse. When we moved in the manager was very adamant that this was the quietest building in the complex (which is why we moved here). Our son has Autsim and my health is not the greatest. The loud noises set our son off taking hours to calm him down. In one case we almost had to take our son to the hospital because he was out of control. They are Hispanic so when I try to talk to them they act as if they can’t speak English.

Asked on October 21, 2011 under Real Estate Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If you have noisy neighbors causing problems with your ability to enjoy your apartment, you need to carefully read the presumed written lease that you have for the unit in that its terms and conditions control the obligations owed to you by the landlord and vice versa in the absence of conflicting state law.

I suggest that you look for any provision in the lease as to noise issues. If there is, then you have a face to face meeting with your landlord about the problems you are having with your neighbors concerning the loud and excessive noise they are creating that disturbs your household.

It may have to come to an ultimatum where either your family vacates the rental or the other family does if the landlord cannot resolve the problem.

Good luck.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.